A couple of blurbs before I get to what I really want to talk about…..
1) Because job apps for law school will be underway shortly, I’ll need to severely tighten up my “online presence”. I will making this entire blog and all past entries password-protected, switching my Twitter and Instagram to followers-only, and probably do that thing where I change my name on Facebook by substituting a middle name for my last name (except I don’t have a middle name so I’ll have to think of something else…).
This makes me kind of sad because I enjoy social media so much, and one of my interests is connecting with others through it, finding things in common, sharing pictures and thoughts, etc. I mean, really, probably only a handful of people keep up to date with my blogs and tweets anyway so it wouldn’t make a big difference, but I kind of like the idea that some random people over the Internet might stumble upon my things and find something they can relate to, in me. I don’t know. Oh well. That’s one of the sacrifices of entering the professional world, right?
2) I friggin’ love biking. I’ve gone on two long bike rides in the past few days.. both times spending over 1.5 hours outside. I didn’t actually cover that much mileage since it IS the city and there are so many traffic lights and people and construction but they were still great rides. I love speeding across a big bridge overlooking the city, feeling the burn in my quads as I’m powering up a hill, riding along the edge of the Harbourfront and feeling like I could flip into the water at any second….you get the idea! I forgot how much I missed biking having NOT biked for 5 months!!
I am going to bike so much the rest of the summer to make up for the dead, horribleness of winter and its non-conduciveness to biking
3) Some general thoughts about other humans that I’ve had lately:
- People should get ticketed for walking too slow on sidewalks when it’s a single-file sidewalk. SERIOUSLY? I usually end up nudging my way past somehow, but come on, why is a perfectly able-bodied, middle-age (I understand if you’re old) person walking 0.0001 km/hour????
- Police on bikes are a great idea. Why? I saw two of them the other day, biking across a not-so-great area of town, and stopping along the way to talk to people. Then, I saw them bike through the park and then stop to talk to more people sitting on the benches, many of whom were clearly homeless or very poor. They were smiling, joking with them, just sort of checking in with them, having perhaps met them before and formed relationships with them.
This to me, is great because so many people living in low-income neighbourhoods do not hold positive attitudes of the police. Many of them distrust the police, feel they are not accessible or helpful, do more harm than good, etc. But when police make active efforts to form relationships with some of these people, get to know the people in the neighbourhood, this completely changes their image. And being on bikes means police officers can have this kind of flexibility, and also of course, appear more “human” and approachable.
- But speaking of police on bikes: they were travelling really slowly along a bike lane the other day, and I desperately wanted to bike ahead of them….but am I allowed to pass a police bike???
- I was lining up at Winners today, and behind me, this lady grabbed a bag of chips from one of the shelves and a bottle of juice, and starting eating and drinking. FYI, Winners line-ups are a bit long sometimes, and they stock the shelves along the line with stuff like food and drinks. But PRESUMABLY, you *pay* for those things before you consume them, and not while you’re still in line. What the hell? Who does that??? That’s not to say I haven’t seen it before…but ok really, are you that dying of hunger and thirst that you can’t wait to buy your things and then eat them? It just feels so…improper to be eating that store’s food while in the store, before having bought it. Also, the hungryass lady wouldn’t stop bumping into my back with the cushions she was holding in her arms. I hate when strangers make bodily contact with me of any kind.
Okay, I think that’s enough for today. I guess I didn’t get to talk about what I originally wanted this blog post to be about……but another day then! I’m off to watch Billy Talent perform at Yonge-Dundas Square!!!! They were my favourite band when I was in high school — I am BEYOND excited